Sappy, Cheesy Post Alert – You’ve Been Warned!
Inspired by High Fidelity
In the book and movie, High Fidelity, the characters focus on top 5’s in relation to things happening in their life.
Top 5 Songs that are C & A Over the Last Ten Years –
1. “Tuff Enuff” by Fabulous Thunderbirds – In the beginning stages of dating, there is always a period with a little silence where you think “Does he or she really like me?” In the midst of that moment, a CD (the sequel to the mixed tape) showed up in my mailbox at school. This song, like Springsteen’s “Tougher than the Rest,” is a theme to taking on a new relationship and trusting it will grow. Ten years later, I do think I am “Tuff Enuff” for C and he me.
2. “Tenderness” by General Public – In a relationship, you do certain things that you promised yourself you would never do like going to Retronome when dancing really isn’t your thing. On a night where a friend was the epitome of Rick Springfield, C actually got out on the dance floor during this song. Now, I can’t hear this song without thinking of that moment in time – the moment of possibility. The next time I got him out there was during a night of U2 while out with a different friend, but that is a story for another day.
3. “Closer to Me” by Dar Williams – The road trip. The time in the relationship when you risk taking it on the road to see if you can actually stand each other for a period of time outside the usual routines. I know you can all see us belting this one out at the top of our lungs while driving cross country to a friend’s wedding. C definitely knew I was legit after he voluntarily slept in a kid-size tent in the middle of Kentucky. It could be that leaving the tent wasn’t really an option in the hullabaloo happening outside, but I’d like to believe he knew after that he was “for scuba” aka me!
4. “Once in a Blue Moon” by Van Morrison/”Stickshifts and Safety Belts” by Cake – Next is the time in a relationship where you formalize it in some way. Two in one for this selection. I can’t separate the two out. Our “wedding” songs. Van Morrison is the more traditional sentimental favorite that definitely says no one else would be crazy enough to be stuck with C or I, but well, C and I; However, the reality is we are the Cake song – we are Wendell Berry and Virginia Woolf mixed with NASCAR thrown together with Shoes from Nordstrom and Carhartts and Mike’s Pastry.
5. “This is Us” by EmmyLou Harris and Mark Knopfler – Lastly, there is the where you are at right now in the scheme of it all. If we started our ride with Jame Brown “I Feel Good” and a night at Retronome then right now we are in the throes of tee-ball, toilet training, and time being stretched beyond the constraints of a twenty-four hour day. Yet, in the midst of chocolate milk and Italian sub vomit-fests, we can still laugh and have a single look across a soccer field that says we got this and each other.
This post was inspired by hearing “Once in a Lifetime” by Talking Heads on the way to school today. Here’s to another TEN years!